Monday, May 11, 2009

Lawrence A. Dozer

Finished updating the C’s in Roseville Cemetery on Saturday and on through the D’s Sunday & today, currently working on the Dozer family. There are currently 18 Dozer’s posted on Find-a-Grave. I have photos for all but Adrian. He is listed as “Son of Ed. and Kate Dozer”. I can’t find anything on Adrian, Ed or Kate. But the real mystery is Lawrence A. Dozer d. Oct. 19, 1918, Ohio PVT, 7th Inf 5 Div WW I. The only info I can find on him are listings in “Soldiers of the Great War Volume 2” and “World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918”. The Draft Registration has him as Lawrence Arthur Dozer b. 5 Nov 1892 from Muskingum County, Ohio. Who his parents were, I have no clue and the big question is, was he killed in action in 1918, and if so, where?

1 comment:

  1. Mr Dilts,

    In answer to your blog, Lawrence Dozer was the son of Arthur A. Dozer, and the Grandson of Amos and Susan Dozer. All three are buried in the same row in the Roseville Cemetery. (His Mother was C Loretta Price Dozer Newberry) Lawrence and my Mother were first cousins. He was called "Kippy" by his family. I don't know the details or exact location of his death, other than it was in France. Below is a copy from a newspaper clipping that appeared in the Roseville paper.

    "In memory of Private Lawrence A. Dozer, of Co. A, 7th Infantry, who died in France, October 19, 1918, from gun shot wounds received in action. He entered the service on March 20, 1918, at Camp Sherman, and left for over seas June 10, 1918. Lawrence A Dozer was born in Roseville, O, on November 5, 1892."

    I noticed on the blog there were pictures of several Koon grave markers. Interesting to know that Newton Koon was related by marriage to Lawrence Dozer. Lawrence was a first cousin of Florence Sagle Koon, wife of Newton Koon. Florence was a Granddaughter of Amos Dozer. My Mother said that Newt went to Washington to bring Lawrence's body back when it was returned after the war. I have a post card Newt wrote from Washington while waiting for the ship to arrive from France. They came back to Roseville by train.

    I have a few photo's of Laurence. If you are interested or want any more information I might have on the family you can contact me at jstottsmk@aol.com

    Marilyn Stotts

    ReplyDelete